I’m Donella Andersen, Nature Edit, a highly experienced editor who specialises in scientific, technical and plain English editing. My areas of expertise are conservation biology, environmental science and natural resource management. I am meticulous and thorough, helping you deliver easy-to-read, clear, consistent and logical documents worthy of all the time and effort you have put in to preparing them.
I provide the ‘fresh eyes’ needed to fix those errors and inconsistencies you can no longer see. In terms of plain English editing and writing, I look at documents from your readers’ perspective and make sure they can be readily understood by your target audience.
Strong science and technical background
I hold a Bachelor of Applied Science Natural Resource Management (BAppSc) and have worked in the field since 1990, including working on and off with NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (now part of the Office of Environment and Heritage, OEH) in a range of positions managing projects to protect our natural and cultural heritage.
I left my permanent position in 2005 and undertook specific training as an editor to hone my skills. Creating Nature Edit in 2009 was a natural progression from working for OEH where I wrote, reviewed and edited a plethora of scientific, technical, planning and policy documents. Since then I have undertaken numerous freelance editing contracts with a range of clients and also taken part-time temporary positions with OEH as a project officer and in-house editor. Apart from adding to my editing experience, this has helped me keep in touch with the latest in environmental science and NSW legislation and policy.
My areas of particular expertise and interest are:
- conservation biology
- environmental sciences
- natural resource conservation and management
- biodiversity and threatened species management
- national park planning and management
- cultural heritage conservation
- land-use and strategic planning
- regional conservation assessments.
I’ve lived and worked on the NSW North Coast for about 30 years and have an enormous love, appreciation and understanding of the region’s flora, flora and landscapes. I also love to travel to different places in New South Wales and beyond. So although I am based just north of Coffs Harbour, I’m more than happy to work anywhere.
Professional, accredited editor
I am one of only 54 accredited editors in New South Wales (as of June 2018). Becoming an accredited editor (AE) in 2016 involved passing an exam set by the Institute of Professional Editors, Australia (IPEd). As an accredited editor I have demonstrated my professional competence and understanding of editing standards, skills and knowledge.
I undertook a Postgraduate Certificate in Editing (PGCertEd) through Macquarie University in 2010 and have completed various industry training courses in plain English editing, scientific and technical editing, and grammar.
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Natural Resource Management), Southern Cross University (2002)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Editing, Macquarie University (2012)
- Professional Editing & Proofreading Certificate, The Writing School (2010)
- Certificate II Horticulture, NSW TAFE
Professional accreditation and memberships
- Accredited editor, AE (since 2016)
- Professional member of the Institute of Professional Editors which is affiliated with the NSW Society of Editors
- Ecological Society of Australia member
Professional development and conferences
- Attended 8th IPEd National Editors Conference (2017) and participated in numerous workshops
- Grammar in a nutshell training workshop, Editors NSW, presented by Elizabeth Manning Murphy (2016)
- Advanced PerfectIt webinar, Editors Victoria, presented by Hilary Cadman (2015)
- Editing scientific, technical and medical documents training workshop, Society of Editors (NSW), presented by Dr Greg Heard (2013)
- Grammar essentials training workshop, Society of Editors (NSW), presented by Professor Pam Peters (2013)
- Plain English for editors training workshop, Society of Editors (NSW), presented by Dr Neil James (2011)
- InDesign Level 1, Alpha Computer Consultants (2012)